WHAT TO BRING AND WHAT TO EXPECT
Here is more information about your upcoming stay at Radha Madhav Dham where we hold the Texas Yoga Retreat. We are very much looking forward to seeing you!
Texas weather can be unpredictable. Please check this web site for current Austin weather:http://www.weather.com/.
- Accommodation fees are paid directly to Texas Yoga Retreat.
- All beds are twin beds.
- Sheets, one pillow, one blanket, one bath towel, one washcloth, and a bar of soap are furnished. You may want to bring an extra-big towel or your favorite pillow. Additional supplies are available upon request.
- Accommodations are heated and air conditioned. All rooms have ceiling fans.
- Laundry facilities are available during your stay. Laundry soap is not supplied, but you can buy small packages of it. The facilities are free for us to use, no coins are needed.
- Newspapers, TVs, and radios are not available.
- No smoking or intoxicants are allowed on the premises including parking lots.
- The gates to Radha Madhav Dham close at 10 p.m. each night and reopen at 6:00 a.m.
- Every room contains one clock radio.
Meals served include dinner Friday; breakfast, lunch and dinner Saturday; and breakfast and lunch Sunday. Fruit, reverse osmosis (RO) water, tea, coffee (and sometimes homemade hot chai!) are available throughout the day. Meals are vegetarian (including dairy, but no eggs) and some include wheat. A normal breakfast consists of homemade yogurt, milk, orange juice, homemade granola, fruit, stewed prunes (optional, of course J), whole grain bread, peanut butter, jam, butter, and nuts. Lunch and dinner consist of rice, soup (usually containing beans or lentils), a vegetable dish, salad, and occasional cheese and bread. We might even surprise you with dessert (cookies or cake). Most participants say they get plenty to eat and we get rave reviews about Chef Jo’s cooking (especially her salad dressings)! If you feel you need more protein, you might consider bringing protein bars, nuts, or other protein items for your diet (please, no fish or meat such as beef jerky). Please bring zip lock bags to store your food so we will not have a problem with insects. In addition, a refrigerator is available for use in the event you need to keep things cool (medicines, etc.). Unfortunately we cannot accommodate special dietary needs such as a vegan diet.
From our wonderful chef Jo who has helped us with retreats for years and has received only positive reviews: “All the food is vegetarian. I never use MSG as a seasoner and do not use products that contain it. I hardly ever use any sugar, most of the time using honey if I need a sweetener. As for the no wheat, no gluten and no dairy…there are always options at ALL the meals that fit these requirements. However, the more restrictive someone’s diet is, the more I recommend that they try to bring some snack items to help. Thanks. Jo”
- Since we are guests at the ashram, we try to be respectful of their traditions.
- Yoga attire is appropriate inside classrooms during classes. However, when walking about the temple grounds, please dress modestly by covering shoulders, underarms, buttocks, and thighs (jog bras, tank tops, spaghetti straps, or shorts are not appropriate).
- Loose t-shirts, pants, calf-length yoga pants, and long skirts are fine. Leggings are fine with a loose hip-length top worn over them. Some students bring shawls to wrap around their shoulders or hips. Street shoes are not worn inside the ashram buildings. You may go barefoot inside the buildings or wear house shoes.
What to Bring
- Sticky mat and any other props you may need (blanket, strap, block)
- Flashlight (for night walks or moving about your room at night without disturbing others)
- House slippers or thick socks to wear inside ashram buildings if you wish
shoes that slip on and off easily for outdoor walking from building to building
- Walking shoes for outside hiking
- Sun hat, sun lotion, insect repellant
- Camera (no pictures are allowed inside the temple)
- Water bottle with lid (open top containers such as cups are not allowed in the yoga hall)
- Journal for personal writing
- Notebook and pen or pencil for taking notes during class
- Clothes hangers (some are available, but the supply is limited)
- Check, cash or credit card if you would like to purchase items from the ashram gift store
- Massages and Henna are available and can be paid for with cash or credit card.
- Medicines, allergy medicine, something for gas relief such as Beano
What NOT to bring:
- Cell phone (we respectfully request that cell phones be left in your car or room during class times)
- Valuable jewelry
- Snacks with beef, turkey, tuna – any items that have meat or eggs products in them.
Please visit the retreat center webpage for more information at: www.ancientyogacenter.org
Cancellation & Refund Policy
To cancel your attendance at the retreat, send a written E-mail notice to Ellen Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Refunds will not be issued for late arrivals, unattended classes, early termination of attendance, no-shows, and/or meal cancellations.
- $100 deducted from refund for all cancellations.
- Minimum 7 calendar days prior to the first day of the event written email notice in order to receive a refund.
- Registrants who cancel with fewer than 7 calendar days prior to the first day of the event forfeit $150 deposit.
- In the event that Texas Yoga cancels an event, we will refund all fees collected in full.
Our airport is Austin-Bergstrom International Airport. The airport code is, “AUS.” The ashram is 45 minutes away from the airport in good traffic.
Directions from Austin to Radha Madhav Dham
400 Barsana Road, Austin Tx 78737
Radha Madhav Dham is located Southwest of Austin, Texas, approximately 45 minutes from the airport and 25 minutes from downtown Austin. The cost of a cab from the airport to Radha Madhav Dham is approximately $50.
From I-35 take the Slaughter Lane exit (Exit 227) and go west. After 8 miles, Slaughter Lane will end in a “T” intersection at FM 1826 (also called Camp Ben McCulloch Rd.). Turn left (south) on FM 1826. After 6 miles you will see a large sign for Radha Madhav Dham. The main entrance is 1/4 mile further ahead on the left. Turn left through the gates and follow signs to the Ancient Yoga Center. Also, please see the Ancient Yoga Center web page for more complete driving directions: www.ancientyogacenter.org
Driving Directions to Radha Madhav Dham from Austin Bergstrom International Airport:
From the airport you can get to Radha Madhav Dham by cab, shuttle , or rental car. You can locate cabs or the shuttle at a designated curb at the airport. The address you can give the driver is Radha Madhav Dham, 400 Barsana Road (512-535-3444). We suggest printing out a copy of the directions to Radha Madhav Dham to give to the cab/shuttle driver, and verifying beforehand the cost of the trip. Travel on Route 71 West towards Austin, passing under I-35 (Route 71 becomes Highway 290 West from this point). After 3.7 miles, you will exit at Loop 1 North/South. Turn left at the third traffic light onto Loop 1 (Mopac South). After a few miles, Loop 1 will become 45 west. Continue on Route 45 west until it ends at FM 1826. Turn left on FM 1826. After 4 miles you will see the main entrance to Radha Madhav Dham on the left. Follow road as it curves to the left, and have driver drop you off at the Ancient Yoga Center.
Telephone numbers for cabs and shuttles are:
- 24 Hour Taxi Service (Austin Cab #76 – Bill Abbott) 512-663-6636
- American Cab 512-452-9999. Cost quoted on 1-4-05 was $55 for one person.*
- Roy’s Taxi 512-482-0000
- Austin Cab: (512) 478-2222
- SuperShuttle: (512) 258-3826, 1-800-258-3826. Make a reservation in advance to get the best rate. Cost is around $30 for the first person and $8 per each additional person. The Super Shuttle desk is located in the Baggage Claim #1 area, and no reservation is required when traveling from the airport.
Emergency Contact Information
There is no emergency contact number for Radha Madhav Dham, only their main number. In case of emergency here are numbers your family should have:
- Ancient Yoga Center, 512-535-3444
- Registrar – Ellen Smith can be reached by email at email@example.com or 512.266-7926 (vm)
- Charles F. MacInerney can be reached at 512.459.2267
Please call 911 for any serious emergencies during the retreat.
Thank you to YogaDuke for the footage of Radha Madhav Dham.